The NPDF is proud to be presenting Capt. Donna Roman with this year’s Woman of the Year Award in recognition of her lifelong achievements in law enforcement and the establishment of her outstanding organization “Women in Blue”.
- She is the owner of Blue Force Films, an independent film production company in New Jersey.
- Donna has produced and directed several award-winning documentaries, including:
- The Ultimate Betrayal: A Survivor’s Journey that depicts how she survived three decades of domestic violence at the hands of her father, a former peace officer. Also, she is the creator and host of two radio talk shows, Tough Justice and The Jersey Beat.
Captain Donna Roman served 29 years in law enforcement in the Patrol Division of both the Essex County Police and Caldwell Police Departments.
- Born and raised in Newark, New Jersey, Donna attended Rutgers University-Newark and achieved Phi Beta Kappa honors in Criminal Justice studies and is currently pursuing a master’s degree.
- Donna was the first female and minority officer hired by the Caldwell Police Department. As a Captain, she was the second in command of the Caldwell Police Department and in charge of the Patrol Division/Operations, the Domestic Violence/Victim Services Unit, the Domestic Violence Response Team and Dispatch Communications.
- In 2006, Captain Roman received a National Positive Force Award for heroism in the line of duty, sustaining injuries during the rescue of a victim of domestic violence.
Donna is the founder and President of Women in Blue, a fraternal association that mentors, advocates and honors the role, work and accomplishments of women in law enforcement; and Violence Intervention and Prevention Specialists, a business that offers consulting, training, and workshops on domestic violence, sexual assault, bullying, workplace violence and more.